Saturday, June 2, 2012

It's hot here.

So, it is official.
Although I was hoping to return to the States earlier than my original date, I am destined to stay.
Until June 12th that is.

I've been back in Amritsar now for a week and a half and have spent most of my time reading, learning to cook Indian dishes, sweating, and drinking water.
The weather turned pretty darn hot a few weeks ago, but for the past week it has been especially miserable.
It's consistently above 105 degrees during the day (113 degrees on Wednesday and Thursday), and although the internet tells me that it cools down to the 80's at night, I don't think that's the case in Naniji and Nanaji's home.
We're on the 2nd floor of a flat with no air conditioning.
There are fans on the ceiling, but the fans honestly don't seem to cool things down a bit, just stir hot air around making one even more aware of the oppressive heat.

It really is oppressive.
I spend my nights miserably tossing and turning on top of sweat soaked sheets.
I am happy to declare, however, that I think I have found a (good enough) solution!
It involves a shower and a fan.

Step 1: Remove sweaty clothing
Step 2: Shower
Step 3: Avoid towel. Instead, simply stand in bedroom with ceiling fan on full blast and let evaporation do all the work.

This process allows approximately 60 seconds of relief.

Yes. In the past 24 hours I have taken EIGHT showers total (2 of which were in the middle of the night) and I have a feeling this number will increase exponentially as the days and nights go on.


So here's the thing.
India gets hot during the summer.
Like really freaking hot.
To the point where lots of people won't go anywhere outside between 12pm-4pm.


What I don't understand, is why people continue to cook food that's spicy enough to heat a person up in the dead of a Michigan winter, during summer.



1 comment:

  1. you should just go to an ashram and practice yoga and meditation your last week in India!

    ReplyDelete